"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Baking

I don't know why people make such a fuss about baking in an RV oven. It's really not that different from baking in an electric oven. Sure, it's a bit more difficult to gauge the temperature with gas than with electric, but you can get pretty close and then use visual and olfactory clues to tell you when the food is done.

Today being Sunday, we're having a social and the theme is 'afternoon tea' (because, as the guest activities coordinator, I said so *g*). I'm bringing fresh baked tea biscuits and jam:



I make two kinds of biscuits. One is a camping recipe that requires a minimal amount of prep work and then there is this one that requires kneading and rolling out, always a fun activity in a tiny kitchen with no counter space. I wound up just using the top of the stove, with the covering board laid on top of it. I suppose I could have used the dinette, but I try to restrict my messy kitchen activities to the kitchen area... which is really quite a farce in an RV. :-)

2 comments:

1001 Petals said...

Recipe? :)

Rae said...

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
4 teasp baking powder
1 teasp salt
1/2 cup fat (butter is best)

Preheat:

400F

Method:

-combine dry ingredients

-cut in fat

-stir in milk in four parts, turning bowl each time and tossing with a fork

-kneed 8-10 times

-roll out to 1/2"

-cut into rounds (I use a water glass)

-place on baking sheet and let rest a few minutes

-bake 12-15 min until golden brown