"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Saturday, May 26, 2007

New Levels

I seem to have reached yet another level of knowledge in my spiritual path.

Last weekend, I bought three books, one about Moses possibly being Akenaten, and the relationship between ancient Egyptian religion and Judaïsm; one about the current relevance of ancient Egyptian religion; and one about being a pagan.

The Moses and Akenaten volume hasn't impressed me, so I've only read a couple of chapters so far. Yet, it validates some of my own theories about the connection about Judeo-Christian faith and ancient Egyptian religion. Suddenly, my online searches took a different step. Even though I was using my 'usual' search words such as 'Egyptian pantheon', I was getting new search results... which brought me knowledge of new-to-me gods in this pantheon... gods which can be deemed a sort of 'cross-over' between ancient Egyptian religion and Judaïsm. Huh huh. Until this week, I was certain that Ba'al and Quetesh are early Semetic figures, with no relation to ancient Egypt. As it turns out, that's false. A little bit of research later, I realise that Ba'al has been jumping up and down in front of me waving his arms for quite a few weeks now. Okay, okay, I see you. Please stop playing with the weather!

The bigger lesson in all of this is that there is no set 'end' for a religion. Instead, they seem to ebb for a while then flow into something new which is ultimately so different as to be irreconcilable with what came before... and yet they started in the same place.

No comments: