"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Uncharacteristic Patience Pays Off!

Since I stopped wearing pants, I've learned that denim skirts are a girl's best friend. I like to have a short (just above the knee), medium-length (just below the knee), and long (to my ankles) in my closet. A couple of months ago, I had to give up my well worn long jean skirt because an unfortunate event made me realise that, um, maybe I'd lost a bit more weight in the past three years than I thought--I was walking down the street and my skirt wound up around my ankles. Yeesh. The seamstress I took the skirt to told me that it wasn't worth trying to make it smaller, she would have charged me as much as a new skirt would cost because of the amount of work involved. So, I donated my skirt to a grateful thirteen year old girl and started to hunt for a new long skirt.

My hunt was quite leisurely until I realised that my trip is coming up quickly and I didn't have a long thick skirt anymore, something I know will be useful on, say, a 'cruise' to Alcatraz. Unfortunately, the long skirt offerings in the spring were ugly and summer is not the time to find a long denim skirt. I did all the new clothing stores I normally visit and a couple of thrift shops. I came really close to giving up and buying an okay, but not great, skirt.

Then last week a colleague who is an amateur professional shopper mentioned that a boutique in our building had a couple of long jean skirts in for 50$, possibly marked down. That was more than I was willing to spend unless the skirt was really something special, but I decided to go check them out. One thing led to another and I didn't get to the shop until yesterday.

There were three of the skirts left and the first thing I noticed was that they were perfect. Plain denim, no fancy stitching, but an interesting cut. I checked the sizes--the first was too small, the last too big, and the middle was just right.

It was a skirt worth 50$... but I was even happier to pay the price that had been inked in next to the 50$: 25$!!!

No comments: