"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Sunday, December 2, 2007

'Fettucini Alfredo'



I love Parmesan cheese, especially in a creamy sauce. But I don't like the fat content in those sauces. Parmesan is one of the lower-fat cheeses, so why ruin it with tons of cream and butter?

The recipe for one-pot mac&cheese located on a wrapper of cheddar cheese helped me 'relearn' a cooking technique I haven't used in about seven years. I gave it up because cleanup was difficult after. Now that I have a dishwasher, that excuse is no longer valid!

The technique is: cooking your pasta in milk

The recipe called for 1 cup of low-fat milk and 1 cup of water. I use 1 and 3/4 cups water and two heaping tablespoons of non-fat milk powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat, add about a cup of pasta, and cook until the pasta is done the way you like it (about 11 minutes). Remove from the burner and stir in the grated cheese.

Voila! Low fat 'Alfredo'! Can you believe that the yummy plate shown above has only less than 5 grams of fat compared to 15 grams or more for a traditionally prepared Alfredo?! Sure, it's still a calorific plate, but it's a treat.

No comments: