"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Pantry Cooking

I've been suffering from food fatigue lately. I've just been bored with everything I normally make and been going out to restaurants a lot. But even there, I have not been satisfied. I came to the conclusion that I needed to come up with new recipes or, at the very least, integrate new ingredients into my daily cooking. So, I decided to start with shrimp.

My first few times making shrimp were a disappointment. Tonight, I decided that I needed to use up the rest of the shrimp instead of going out for dinner again (at least, I'm still on budget for the month!). But my pantry seemed bare and I wasn't sure I could come up with something yummy.

Still, I pulled a few things out of the pantry, fridge, and freezer and a half hour later, I had the first home cooked meal in recent memory that made me go WOW!!!!

Here's a picture of the final result:



Raven's Food Fatigue Pantry Pasta With Shrimp (catchy name, no?)

Ingredients (for one person):

13 shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 small splash olive oil
2 tbspish butter (real butter, not margarine!!!)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 big splash lemon juice
1 cuppish frozen veggies
2 portions pasta (preferably Barilla)
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper

(c'est tout!)

Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. With about six minutes left before its done, start working on the shrimp:

-Melt butter, then stir in the minced garlic
-Nuke the frozen veggies with a bit of water for about two minutes
-While the veggies are cooking, heat up the olive oil and start the shrimp in it by cooking each side until they turn pink
-Add the garlic butter to the shrimp and stir to coat
-Stir in a generous splash of lemon juice
-Cook the shrimp until pink all the way through by occasionally flipping them
-Drain the veggies
-Remove the shrimp and stir in the veggies to coat them with the butter, cook about one minute
-Turn off the heat and add the shrimp to the veggies to heat through
-Drain the pasta, arrange on plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper
-Top with the shrimp and veggies

No comments: