"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Saturday, May 10, 2008

To Market, To Market

One of my favourite weekend activities when it's nice out is to walk the four kilometres or so to the Byward Market. I bring a canvas bag and load up on breads, fruits, veggies, and cheeses at specialized stores. Sometimes, I'll pop into the Natural Food Pantry for vegetarian and organic options and/or La Bottega for premium Italian imports of biscotti, cheese, and pasta. I like to wander the artisan kiosks, smell the flowers, occasionally adopt a couple of pots of herbs, and listen to the buskers. When I've had my fill, I bus home. It's a splendid way to spend a couple of hours.

Today, I also had a mission. For the past ten years, I have had to walk or bike to work or school. Every time it rains, I curse the weather because I'm going to ruin my shoes and get my feet wet. For some reason I can't fathom, this bird who is willing to spend the money that needs to be spent on proper winter boots has been too cheap to buy galoshes. This week, I snapped. I decided that while I was on my veggie expedition at in the Market this weekend, I would pick up these beauties:



Now, I just need to find a navy blue rain slicker to complement them. Yup, I don't have a raincoat, either. *rolls eyes*

When I move to Winnipeg, I won't have to give up my favourite nice weather weekend activity since that city has The Forks!

No comments: