"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Monday, February 11, 2008

Routines

I'm not good at sticking to routines, but I've got a Sunday one that's been going on since after the holidays and which is working out great for me.

Sunday morning, I take an hour and make a double batch of pancakes while listening to the Sunday morning oldies show. These pancakes are super healthy and filling. A double batch gives me enough breakfasts for the week. I've been having these pancakes every single morning for four weeks and am not tired of them. I think I might have found my miracle breakfast food. I eat them as is after nuking them for about a minute; the raisins providing more than enough sweetness.

Mid-afternoon, I cook up a huge batch of something and prepare my lunch for the next day. I've noticed that if my Monday lunch is prepared ahead of time (whether I eat it at home or at work), I tend to be more on track for the rest of the week as to having a good lunch. I then pack the freezer with the leftovers. This way, I've accumulated the following in the freezer in one-meal portions: Ethiopian spiced lentils, chili, and pasta with tomato sauce and cheese.

If I don't eat dinner at home or am too lazy to make something with leftovers or what I'm making isn't suited to creating leftovers (eg. fish/seafood), I can pull one of these meals out of the freezer for my lunch the next day.

Before I go to bed, I make sure my lunch is packed, take out a portion of pancakes, and prepare my coffee (my coffeemaker has a timer).

Mondays are so much more pleasant now. I've never really had to rush in the mornings, but it's nice to not have to think about breakfast or what I'll be bringing for lunch.

No comments: