"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Friday, September 26, 2008

Surprise Gifts

I woke up this morning and looked out all the windows as I always do to see how things changed over night (two neighbours gone, one added). I then noticed two bulging bags on my picnic table with a piece of paper flapping in the breeze.

The note said: "We go back to Holland today. Maybe you can use these."

The bags contained:

-a 3lb sac of onions
-a garlic clove
-a bottle of olive oil
-two bottles of salad dressing (unopened)
-a bottle of ketchup
-salt and pepper shakers (filled)
-a bag of sugar
-starter briquettes for a grill (which I was going to go pick up today!)
-two large bottles of dish washing detergent
-a small box of laundry detergent

The bags rested on two badminton rackets and a birdie.

I can definitely use all of the bag contents and I'll be able to pass on the rackets to a family with children at some point down the road (or even keep them; I like badminton!).

Hmm... all that garlic and onions and olive oil makes me think that I'm due to cook up a huge pot of spaghetti sauce, LOL!

I wouldn't have taken in just any sort of food from strangers, but none of this stuff has an 'ick' factor and it sure would be a shame to throw out perfectly good food!

1 comment:

Bast said...

I've found that RV'ers/campers are some of the most generous of souls. I think it's lovely that they gave you their supplies rather than dump them - too much waste goes on.

(as you know)

But anyway, I think it's quite nice.