I've now been at my first camp hosting job for close to eight weeks. It is not going well.
Here are some tips on what should be done to avoid some of the issues I'm now facing:
1) Confirm the details of the arrangement before moving in and sign a written contract;
2) Make sure you and the manager agree on what constitutes hours that qualify towards the minimum expected to cover your rent (or whatever you're bartering for);
3) Get a bit of background on the people you will be working with (how long they've worked there, what they do, what their expectations are for temporary staff);
4) Don't allow them to make significant changes to the contract without a new contract being signed;
5) Don't assume that you and the manager speak the same language. Reiterate very instruction that you are told until you're sure you know exactly what s/he means;
6) Be aware of just how much value you are being given for the number of hours you put in. Camp hosting can turn out to not be cost effective;
7) Carefully evaluate the proposed schedule to ensure that it will not be damaging to your health.
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."