"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Pantry Discoveries

I go home for lunch, so I normally have leftovers or quick-to-make options at home, but that wasn't the case today since I'm in 'empty-the-pantry-and-make-do-with-what-you-have' mode. The pantry had nothing that would take less than twenty-minutes to make, so I rummaged in the freezer. Hidden in plain sight, right in front of the containers of homemade spaghetti sauce and storebought pie crust, was an unlabelled bag. Curious, but nervous, I opened it and found pierogies! I heated them up in the microwave and was happy to discover that they still tasted fresh. I still have enough for at least two more meals. I had no fruit left for dessert, not even canned pineapple, so I took stuff out of the freezer to see if I had any frozen fruit hidden under something. Behind the bags of frozen veggies, I found one of sliced strawberries, with just a pitiful handful rattling around the bottom. I nuked them for forty seconds with a bit of brown sugar. They, too, tasted fresh. Woohoo!

Tonight's dinner is either rice pie* or trout with pierogies. Probably the former since I've been eating way too much trout and that pie crust is getting old.

*Rice Pie

Cook about a cup of rice in about two cups of vegetable broth and about two tablespoons of powdered milk.

When the rice is no longer crunchy, but not yet ready, throw in a handful of mixed frozen veggies (whatever floats your boat).

When the rice is ready, mix in some strongly flavoured cheese (whatever floats your boat).

Spread into a pie crust. Top with more cheese, if you want.

Bake at about 375F for about 35 minutes, until the crust is brown around the edges. I like to broil it for a minute at the end to get a cheesy crust over the rice.

Cheap, filling, good cold and/or reheated, and makes four generous portions.

No comments: