"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Friday, August 31, 2007

Reheating Coffee?! And Raise

I'm starting to develop a two cup a day habit that involves drinking one cup at home and then buying a second one around 10. A colleague suggested that I try something she does--reheating coffee I made at home. I'm going to try this as of Wednesday (long weekend, woohoo!).

One thing I've discovered this week is that if I have a second cup of coffee around 10, I can 'last' till lunch (noonish) without having a morning snack AND I eat a smaller lunch! Is coffee an appetite suppressant?!

I drink my coffee with a splash of soy milk and about two tsp of sugar, so I'm looking at about 25-35 calories per cup of coffee, about a the same thing as a piece of fruit that leaves me hungry. Since I get in all my fruits and veggies for the day with my meals, I don't think that substituting coffee for fruit in my morning break is a huge deal.

Related to last night's post, I had an Outlook reminder this morning to enquire about my next raise which is due in three weeks rather than in December! HR is processing the paperwork to avoid what happened last year (having to cut me a 'catch up' cheque in December). I immediately called CIBC to up my bi-weekly contributions to my emergency fund by my estimated raise amount. Unfortunately, next year will be my last raise until the next union negotiations. So, in a way it's a good thing that it's next year I plan to start looking for a new job in the environmental sector since I don't want to be stuck at the same salary for five to ten years. Also, I have a vague career goal of earning 50K per year before overtime by the time I'm thirty. That said, I still can't get over the fact that my take home pay now is more than my net pay was this time three and a half years ago. It's no wonder I had no life back then.

No comments: