"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Friday, August 24, 2007

Updating the Wardrobe

Now that I've had my breast reduction, I'm finding that while some of my old clothes still fits (much better, though!), I do need a lot of new tops... and lingerie.

I was used to paying 100$-150$ for a bra. Now, all I need are camisoles with built-in shelf bras. I've snatched up everyone I've seen that's 10$ or less! I now have more 'bras' in my dresser drawer than I've owned in my entire life. *makes a mental note to curb her enthusiasm a tad*

As for outerwear, I made the decision quite some time ago that I buy new clothes now, as a general rule (but I still check out thrift stores on occasion). I wear the most popular size for women's clothing, so it's hard to find anything good at thrift shops. I also find that often their prices aren't that good and that I can get something new for just a dollar or two more. One of the reasons I pinch pennies is to be able to spend money on what I want to spend money on. So, fewer movies, but more clothes. How my priorities have changed over the years!

Colleagues gave me a gift certificate for my favourite store, Reitmans. That 35$ got me five tops, and then I added another 35$ for another five pieces, which averages out to 7$ per item (some were considerably less, some more).

This is a great time of year to shop because you get all of the summer stock on sale AND last winter's leftovers. While I was scooping up camis and tees, I also snagged a couple of cord skirts for 2.50$ each and cable-knit sweaters for 4$ each. Once I had done the rounds of all my favourite stores and spent less than 125$ updating my wardrobe (including underwear), I was still missing a few pieces.

On a hunch, I decided to check eBay for items from stores for which I know my size and what styles suit me, like Reitmans, Smart Set, and Old Navy. Lo and behold, I found several suitable auctions and scored at least 300$ worth of clothes for just under 20$ with shipping! One of the lots was five long-sleeved Reitmans tee-shirts for 7$, including shipping. New, I could get them for 5$ each on sale. I live in these tee-shirts in winter, layering them over a camisole and under a cardigan, so I'm glad I didn't have to pay full sale price to replace my long-sleeved tee-shirt wardrobe.

Now that I know there's a market for Reitmans items on eBay, I'm glad I didn't donate all my too big clothes to St Vincent's. I've got several pieces that look plenty good enough to sell.

No comments: