"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Baking a Cake

To celebrate the fact that the streets are now walkable again with no risk to life, meaning that I can go home for lunch for the first time in months (WOOHOO), I decided to make myself a chocolate cake, with icing, for dessert this week.

For the cake, I threw together whatever baking supplies I had in what seemed like roughly the correct proportions and order. The batter tasted great (no eggs, so no salmonella risk *g*), so I'm optimistic.

For the icing, something I've never actually made (!), I figured that I'd need creamed butter, powdered sugar, and some sort of flavouring. I don't keep powdered sugar in the house. So, what did this inventive lass do? She dumped granulated sugar in the coffee grinder. The result was coffee-flavoured powdered sugar to which she added cocoa to make a decent-enough mocha icing (bit too buttery).

Can't wait to see how the cake turns out. :-)

No comments: