"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Monday, April 28, 2008

Not a Good Position to Be In

At four this afternoon, I began to feel unwell. I experienced hot flashes and then started to shake. I recognized the symptoms to mean that I'd just had a serious drop in my blood sugar levels and I needed food immediately.

So, I went to my cabinet and pulled out my trusty jar of peanut butter, only to find it unpalatable! It turns out that I'd actually managed to pass the point of expiration for peanut butter! I'm obviously eating a lot more at home now.

Since it was the end of the day, I gathered my things and stumbled downstairs to a convenience store where I bought a Snickers bar that righted things quickly. Yup, I had to pay full price for a chocolate bar because I haven't been monitoring my store levels at work. Bad Raven, no cracker!

I got home and signed up at fitday.com so that I could get an idea of the number of calories I had eaten up to my energy drop. I'd eaten 700-800 calories.

Many months ago, I worked with a nutritionist to determine the number of calories I should aim for in a day. 1,200 to 1,400 when trying to lose weight, 1,400 to 1,800 when trying to maintain weight (depending on how active I am), and 1,800 to 2,000 when I'm doing some serious training for a race (which I should be doing right now, but that's neither here nor there). Today, I should have been aiming for about 1,400, meaning that by four I'd only eaten half my calories for the day.

The moral of the story is to have a much bigger breakfast than I've been having (which I thought was calorific enough), keep on aiming for the kind of lunch I had today, and have a snack mid-afternoon even if I have to buy one because I left my oh-so-delicious royal gala apple on the counter that morning.

No comments: