"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I Hate Shopping at Walmart

As I headed out for a first aid meeting this evening, I noticed just how gross my (rental) property looks because of garbage strewn across the parking surface, along the fences, and the flower beds in front. It's definitely spring! I decided to corral all of that stuff upon my return since it just so happened to be garbage night.

On the way home, I remembered that, hey, I'm all out of garbage bags. I had this thought just as I came up to the exit for Walmart. It was 8:30 and the store closes at 9. I figured I could grab the garbage bags, stock up on my favourite pizza that was on mega sale this week, and also buy some TP, tissues, and cat litter. I was in line at precisely 8:40. Said line stood still. The cashier was a typical Walmart cashier who has no sense of time. It took her 20 minutes to get to me (there were two people with five articles between them ahead of me) and almost 5 minutes to ring me up. My debit card wouldn't scan and she was no help at all, just staring vapidly into space instead of offering me a plastic bag or other tip. I finally gave up and used my credit card instead. Then, her printer fluffed up and the paper got jammed and wrinkled, but the receipt was readable. She started to fiddle with the machine and I told her that the receipt was fine. She asked me if I was in a hurry. I am proud to say that I was very calm and polite when I told her I'd been waiting almost a half hour for her to ring up a grand total of 13 items and I just wanted to go home. GRR.

I'll probably be known in my neighbourhood as the crazy chick in the skirt who picks up garbage at 10PM. There was plenty of light from the office tower across the street to illuminate the yards. I picked up almost a full bag of trash!!! I won't be embarrassed to live here tomorrow. :-) I caught my neighbours looking at me through their living room window as I worked, but won't call them lazy for not picking up trash themselves since he did more than his share of shoveling this past winter.

No comments: