"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Monday, August 18, 2008

Eating the Elephant

As the days creep closer to September 4th, I'm a bit panicked about how much junk, erm, personal possessions, I still need to get rid of. I can't believe how huge this house is, nor how naïve I was about how much I'd already downsized! After the horde left on Saturday, I was left feeling pretty depressed and overwhelmed. I spent Sunday in a bit of a funk as my overworked brain tried to figure out how to deal with what's left.

My original thought had, of course, been a garage sale, but I've been convinced that this won't be worth my while (mainly because of the neighbourhood I live in). So, I've mulled things over and realised that getting money isn't as important as feeling as if my things are going to people who need and want them, rather than just ending up in the trash heap.

I started by contacting someone who had picked up a ton of books from me in the spring. She's working on a database project involving books and knows a lot of readers. She had been thrilled to receive the mountain I gave her then and enthusiastically accepted to pick up this week what I have left. That helped me find the second wind I needed to tear through the house and box up the books I have left. I was surprised to discover that I still had a visceral attachment to a lot of them, then chided myself. Those books are ones I've read a million times over twenty years or so. It's time for me to read new things!

I've advertised the last bit of furniture on Craigslist and am hoping to get money for my computer armoire and craft hutch. I put two bedside lamps on there and was shocked when someone snapped them up almost immediately. Same thing for a filing cabinet, which I gave to a grateful student.

Extra linens that are still in good condition will go to a Saint-Vincent-de-Paul drop off box. Like batches of things, like empty DVD cases and kitchen supplies, are offered on the local Freecycle-type group.

As for the things that are coming with me, I found a new use for my Ikea Kasset boxes as they will be the perfect fit for the overhead cabinets in Miranda. So, I've got a row of them spread out in the living room and they're all divided into categories--hardware, electronics, bathroom, office supplies, etc.. As I move through the house and gather up odds and ends, I deposit them in the appropriate box. Once that box is full, I start another. Since I can't just dump things pêle-mêle into a box now to dump back into a drawer at the other end, because I won't have much furniture, this method is working out brilliantly.

In just two hours this evening I could see definite progress, so I'm actually starting to feel that I might have this buttoned up on time.

12 sleeps left till I move in and 17 sleeps left till I leave!

No comments: