"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Wardrobe Woes

Miranda's wardrobe is surprisingly useless for a full-timer. Blame it on the sliding doors. If I had doors that opened outwards, I could have done something like Andy Baird did in his rigs, that is put in plastic drawers to fill in the space. Instead, I have to contend with doors that eat up a surprising amount of interior space. I will put in at least one drawer unit, but it will have to be quite skinny.

When retirees move into a full-timing rig, they can usually downsize their clothing since they know they'll be doing mostly casual things in mostly warm climates. I don't have that luxury. I'm still going to go through four seasons and I have no idea what sort of scenarios I'm going to encounter. It therefore doesn't make sense to get rid of anything I've worn in the last year except for pieces that are definitely too big for me now.

I divided my wardrobe into three: winter, summer, and inbetween. Since I'm leaving at the beginning of September, I can expect to wear summer clothes for at least that month, but will want ready access to the inbetween items, which include longer-sleeved tops and heavier skirts. The distinctly winter items--corduroy skirts, heavy knit tops, coats, boots, hats, etc. went into two rubber totes that fit nicely in the basement. I'll need to figure out how to squeeze the summer things into the wardrobe using the hanging and drawer space I have available to me. As for the inbetween stuff, I want it at the ready for the first chilly morning.

So, I just spent a half hour staring at both my closets (yes, both, I'm in suuuch trouble, LOL!) and realised that I hadn't figured out yet where I'm putting my suitcases. Yes, I'm taking my suitcases with me since I plan on doing one round trip air flight per year to Montreal to visit my family.

The three suitcases nestle in each other, so there's only the big one to worry about, size-wise, and it should fit on the wardrobe's shelf if I measure things correctly. I put the smaller suitcase in it and stuffed it with rolled up long-sleeved inbetween tops:



I then closed up the small suitcase and laid on top the dressier clothes I own that would be suitable for interviews or office jobs. They'll be out of the way, but stay reasonably unwrinkled.



I finished by stuffing the suitcase with socks and tights.

I will most definitely need to hang some things, so I suspect I'll end up using up as much of the wardrobe for drawers as I can, and then put up hooks in the entrance and study for hanging the coats and shawls I'm using at the time. I'll hang the other coats in the wardrobe in the dead space between the drawers where the doors intersect. I'll need to remove the drawer units to get at the coats, so that will be fine for rotating storage.

No comments: