"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Friday, March 23, 2007

Breakfast, and a Book Review

I have breakfast and fresh coffee at work every single morning. Sounds expensive, right? Well, it's not. I keep a supply of peanut butter, powdered milk, and sugar at my desk, a week's worth of bagels in the kitchen freezer, and every couple of days I grind some coffee beans at home to take to work. I know that making breakfast at work isn't an option for everyone, but it's okay here--there's a toaster in the kitchen and I'm allowed to keep a coffee maker at my desk. Since I get up extremely early and have a hideously long commute, I've been shaving off time from my morning routine by not eating straight away. Instead, I dress and go. By the time I get to work, an hour and a half or so later, I've had some exercise and am actually hungry. I eat around 7:30- 8AM and I usually 'last' until 11:30-12, when I have lunch. Before, I used to be famished by 9, so I'd go downstairs for a muffin or other treat. So, by making breakfast at work, I save both money and calories! I do occasionally go get coffee downstairs, but not as often as I once did. I'd rather have my coffee while I start work then to drink it at home or in the car (tried both options). Now that I'll be moving much closer to work, I'll probably start eating breakfast at home again, but this current routine has probably saved me hundreds of dollars and calories!

Now, on to the book review.

I'm reading the Shopoholic series by Sophie Kinsella. When a colleague passed me the first one, I wasn't too interested, thinking that they'd be completely frivolous. I've only read the first one so far, but what I can say about it is that it is only superficially frivolous. In fact, this book has several excellent messages about finding your passion, taking responsibility for you life, and spending consciously. It made me feel better about some of my consumer behaviour, while leaving me horrified about certain habits. They should be a must read for anyone in their eyeballs in debt or who never know where all their money went. They're also hysterically funny! Highly recommended.

No comments: