"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Monday, March 5, 2007

"But it was food, so she ate it"

I was going to make salmon again tonight when I guiltily remembered the disgusting 'stew' I made on Friday. I hate to throw out food, but dreaded trying to eat that again. I thought about what was in it--chili mix, TVP, veggies, celery soup, and decided to add a can of tomato soup. That's something I do too often--take a small quantity of something barely edible and then add to it until it's palatable and I have enough to last me for weeks. At any rate, the tomato soup improved things greatly and I served the 'stew' over pasta. The result was hot and filling, just what was needed after such a chilly day, and I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. But I'll never make it again!

While I prefer to 'eat well' I will eat just about anything not poisonous when I am hungry and have few options. I mean, food is fuel, right? The Ice Storm of '98 taught me a lot about the dietary concessions I'm willing to make when I have little or no options. While many I know would rather go hungry than eat something that is below their regular standard, I'm not that picky. You wouldn't push your car instead of putting gas in it, would you?

No comments: