"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Tuna Casserole

I know I should probably eat more tuna and I really don't mind the taste, but the chickeny texture bothers me somewhat. I've come up with a way to make tuna that will feed me for three meals (generous portions with seconds) or five meals (non-piggish portions).

I start by scoping out specials on tuna and 'Tuna Helper.' I'm sure there are more frugal ways to make tuna casserole, but I love the noodles and sauce in Tuna Helper and it's so much more convenient than making a (lumpy white sauce). So, to reiterate, I get the tuna and TH on special.

Once I have the tuna and TH, I wait until I'm in the mood for a hot, filling casserole. I prepare the TH as stated on the side of the box, for baking in the oven. I use 3.5 cups boiling water and no milk. I bake it for 30 minutes, to give time for the noodles to cook and some to crisp up. I then add a generous handful of frozen veggies (usually lima beans/carrots/peas/corn/green beans) and return the dish to the oven for a few more minutes. I then stir some grated cheese (usually yellow cheddar) into the casserole and top it with crushed soda crackers. After another few minutes in the oven, I broil the dish for a minute (watch it!) so that the crackers brown.

Voila! It's not too pretty, but it's sinfully delicious, and fairly cheap, too, if you got all the 'ingredients' on special.

No comments: