"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Origins of the Judeo-Christian god

By the time I became Wiccan, I had studied just about all the religions and mythologies of the world throughout history, except that of ancient Egypt. I had succeeded in 'pairing' the gods of various pantheons, seeing them as different expressions of the same force. But the Judeo-Christian god eluded me. He felt apart from everything else I had studied, seemed to have no counterpart. So, it's understandable that, as I began to research the pantheon I had adopted, that I found myself thinking: "Ooookay, if the Judeo-Christian god isn't found anywhere else, he's got to be found in the Egyptian pantheon." And I found him, all by myself. Other scholars have theorized that the Judeo-Christian god is the Egyptian god Aten, but I reached the conclusion myself. I find that startling.

Last night, I was flipping through my Bible as I am wont to do, enjoying my favourite passages from Job, finding a second interpretation to the first couple of days of the creation story, rolling my eyes at some passages from Esther, and then settling down for some Isaiah, when I found the passage that made me stop, think, and make the connection that Judeo-Christian god=Aten:

O Lord, Our God, other lords besides you have ruled over us,
but your name alone do we honour.
They are now dead, they live no more;
those departed spirits do not rise.
You punished them and brought them to ruin,
you wiped out all memory of them.
(Isaiah 26:13-14)

No comments: