"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Friday, March 2, 2007

Cooking

I need to learn how to build a pantry.

When you don't have a pantry and there's too much snow to get in the car and go to a restaurant (thank goodness), you wind up with... creative meals. Tonight, I'm having one of my 'let's see what sort of disgusting-looking stew I can make' nights. Scrounging through my pitiful 'pantry' and freezer, I've combined TVP, dried veggi chili mix, hot water, a can of cream of celery soup, and some frozen veggies to make something that's actually relatively edible. I'll be serving this with Tasty Taters (not as good as I remember).

Yeesh.

I used to love to cook and made absolutely everything from scratch. The last few years, cooking's been a pain. I mean, the more you cook, the more you have to clean, right?

The new house will afford me more time and it has a dishwasher (!) so I hope to fall back into positive old habits. Like having a pantry, fridge, and freezer bursting with so many homemade goodies as to make restaurant fare positively unappealing.

No comments: