"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Not the most frugal way to get your veggies, but...

Except for the height of summer, when fresh veggies and fruit are cheap and abundant, I like to splurge, several times a week, on the prepared salads, veggies, and fruit that my local supermarket prepares. They're not cheap, but I can justify the expense:

1) more variety with no waste--if I bought all the various veggies (or fruits) that they use, I'd have enough fruit for two weeks, but it'd go to waste in a few days (not currently in a situation to freeze or use up the veggies/fruit in another way). I'm also not paying for peels or stems and whathaveyou that would be throwing out;

2) guaranteed veggie/fruit intake--no excuses about having no time to cook or prepare the fruits and veggies;

3) a healthier splurge than, say, chips or cookies--last time I called the RAMQ to complain about the lack of doctors, I was told to go to the States (!) and get reimbursed. It's cheaper to just stay healthy.

No comments: