"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Friday, June 27, 2008

Cottage Cheese, Redux

There's a terrible little Italian-wannabe restaurant in the Market in Ottawa that shall remain nameless, but which offers one over priced and over caloried dish that I occasionally find myself craving--roasted red pepper penné.

Last night, I was poking around the pantry and freezer, looking for something fun to top my pasta with. I found myself holding red peppers that I had recently roasted and frozen.

Hmm...

Well, I blended until smooth a cup of cottage cheese (1% fat) with roasted peppers, a bit of garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and tossed it with penné and a half oz of pecans. The result was insanely delicious and cheesey roasted red pepper penné for 600 calories (drop the pecans to bring the meal down to 500 calories), 14 grams of fat (4 if you drop the pecans!), 40 grams of protein (39 if you drop the pecans), and 78 grams of carbs. Add in a huge green salad (hold the dressing) and you have a healthy, nutritionally-sound meal that feels very indulgent.

Cottage cheese rocks. :-)

No comments: