"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why I Chose to Finance

People have asked me why I didn't pay cash for my RV when I had the money to do so.

Here's the simplified answer.

My investments are currently netting an average return of 7.5%.

The financing will be 6.99%

By financing, my money will keep working for me and I'll still be ahead .51% at the end of the year.

Even more succinctly: I'd lose money by paying cash.

I'm sure there's nuances to that, but that's the short of it according to my financial adviser. Had my financing been at the 8% I was first offered, then paying cash would have been a better option.

No comments: